Hornton Grange was built in 1928, adjacent to the Grade II* listed Garth House and facing its historic curtilage. While not listed, it represents a simpler continuation modernisation of the early language which was established by Garth House in 1901. During the period of its life, the building had undergone a series of modernisations and extensions, which convoluted the early language and shielded some of its key proportions and features, such as is grand internal staircase and impressive roofscapes. It also plays a key role in establishing the relationships and hierarchies of the new Hotel & Conference Centre facility to reinstate the heritage setting that was prevalent at its inception.
The refurbishment and extension of this project (as with Garth House) continued the development of the complex, with each building having its own identity connected to its original use and time period.
The internal refurbishment creates 6 well-proportioned bedrooms on the upper floors structure around the reinvented grand staircase and main reception. The ground floor contains a series of meeting rooms, a main bar and lounge linking into the new extension. This has been restructured to create a greater sense of flow and open key views across the site, while being able to appreciate the impressive and embracing proportions of the original layout.The design of these spaces has been developed to work with the original features of the building, and includes refurbished wood panelling and a large-scale fireplace bar, enhancing its identity and relevance within the wider setting and facility.
An impressive rear extension has been added to accentuate its importance. Set back from the road, the extension is connected via a subtle glass link, allowing its primary elevation to sit comfortably within the landscape and have a clearer address within the conservation setting. The extension is structured to have an enhanced feeling of space and light, connecting with the landscape while creating a focal heart that the modern house had previously been missing.
Hornton Grange is located adjacent to Garth House and although not Listed, still lies within the local conservation area and of great period styling, and was also converted into a 5* boutique hotel.
Glancy Nicholls Architects are to be commended for their extensive historic research and condition survey work to restore the original architectural period detailing, recreating the original charm and character whist also delivering a quality 21st century guest experience.
– Andy Stone, University of Birmingham.